Skip to main content

Jabberwonky

Well, Spouse and I have both received our jabs - two doses each of vaccine. 

(Which one? Moderna, as it happens, though why everyone keeps asking I can't imagine. I had no idea and had to dig out the card to look it up. I takes what I can gets, y'all, particularly for a contagious life-threatening disease that I have risk factors for. I've watched loved ones die slowly, gasping for breath, and it's a horror.)

Anyway.  We got our jabs and then things went wonky. (I know you see what I did there. Don't ask me if I'm proud of myself. Of course I'm not proud of myself.)

Yup, we got jab-sick. But for much more than 48 hours. Five days in fact. Poor Spouse battled through the weekend and staggered into work on Monday and Tuesday, because the PTO benefit there is abysmal. As a contract worker with no looming deadline, I could take the time... unpaid. It's going to be a mouse-squeak of a payday for me. I mostly slept for three days, then worked short hours another two. Mouse. Squeak.

I believe all the over-40s in my extended family are now vaccinated. I hope we have guidelines soon to get 16 and younger vaccinated. When the whole family is jabbed-up, I'll breathe easier.

For them, at least. For us as a society, a country, a world, I'm still alternately holding my breath and wheezing.

Until we reach herd immunity, we'll keep getting new infections, and every infected person is another opportunity for the virus to develop a new variant. My biggest COVID-19 fear is that we don't get there fast enough, and a more-contagious, deadlier, vaccine-resistant variant develops. We're at nearly 3M deaths, and I'm certain we'll pass that before it's over; a worst-case variant could possibly double that. It's a nightmare to contemplate.




Comments

  1. I am so sorry you both got so sick. I have heard of this happening to a few people, but no one I know personally. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Gift

Several people I "know" from internet postings have lost loved ones recently. In some cases, the loss was quite sudden and shocking. Each time I read the sad news, I was reminded again of my mother's death, and her careful, caring preparations for it.  She had a binder with all of her paperwork, kept next to her favorite chair. In it was a copy of her will. Copies of her various powers of attorney. Recent copies of household bills, so we'd have account numbers.  And a copy of the paperwork for her pre-paid funeral arrangements.  We were broken and dazed, in no shape to contemplate decision-making or financial constraints. And we didn't have to. Not only was nearly everything pre-paid, but we had the comfort of knowing the arrangements were what she genuinely wanted. It's not a pleasant topic, but since that experience I've shared with everyone of a certain age what a relief it was, in a terrible time, to have all those details already handled, in the way s

Betrayed by Costco

Well, no. I just thought a little drama might keep me awake. I have been disappointed by Costco, however. Last winter we discovered their Kirkland Master Carve Ham . Hooray! Good ham. Good price. Sandwiches for days and days. Hurrah! Then, it disappeared. So after not finding it for a few months, I contacted Costco and discovered it's being discontinued in my region. Why, Costco, why? Good ham is hard to find in this area. It was one of the consolations of the lands of my misspent youth, but they seem unclear on the concept here. Maybe that was the problem: people here didn't realize what they had, couldn't appreciate it, didn't buy it, and now I'm paying the price for their foolishness. Costco didn't betray me: my neighbors did. Those jerks.  So, it's back to expensive import deli ham. No, Boar's Head is not substitute. Am I the only one married to a hardcore pouty foodie?

Biannual Update/Whinge

 I've sorely neglected this blog. 2020 has been a dreadful year for me, for both the pandemic-related reasons and a host of personal ones. I lost friends and family this year, to COVID, cancer, and aneurysm. I was in an accident that caused a "cataclysmic" injury, according to my surgeon, who seems eternally concerned that I'm not taking things seriously enough, and still in physical therapy. I've been sufficiently depressed to be prescribed another anti-depressant. And of course, even if I could work right now, there are no jobs in my field .  Not quite accurate, that. More specifically, there are no jobs in just my field. Employers seem to think their strongest strategy for getting through this downturn is to combine barely-related specialties into a single position: one super-data goddess, please! Yes, you must be expert in servers, database administration, data conversion, data warehousing, and data visualization. Oh, and website design/maintenance, including