Skip to main content

Where did January go?

I could've sworn I left it right here....

It was a bit of a blur, between interviews and getting a new contract (yay! paycheck for a year!), trying to gather tax information (why did I schedule tax appointment for February 1?), and several new bills and obligations (boo...hiss... sigh).

The contract is with a large employer in our city, and is located close to home -- I could take the bus if necessary.  The work is... a stretch. I'm having to use long-abandoned skills, and learn new ones, and while the client seems satisfied at two weeks in, I have moments and sometimes days of abject terror, wondering if I'll ever navigate my way through and get up to speed. This is only my second contract, and a major client of my agency, so I really feel pressure to not just do good, timely work, but to impress, maybe to wow. 

Spouse maintains I'm my own worst enemy, none of it is beyond me, etc., etc. I have noted, however, that Spouse does not suffer from measured, balanced estimations of loved ones, so I don't find it much comfort. Well-meant, sweet, appreciated in a way, but an unreliable data point. And of course the more pressure I put on myself, the more I avoid proactively taking the actual steps I need to take to perform. Must... Take... Control...

Taxes were filed Friday. As I suspected, the lack of 401k/HSA contributions during the severance period cost us, but fortunately I crammed as much into the contracting company's 401k as I could during my October-December contract. Technically there is a federal refund due -- but we've already promised in the paperwork that it will go to our 2017 HSA. The amount due will cover most of the 2017 shortfall, and though we couldn't have it paid in pre-tax dollars due to the layoff, we can take a post-tax contribution as a deduction. I'll take it as a win: I was very concerned we'd end up with a tax bill. I also should make cookies for our accountant. He is worth his substantial weight in gold for hand-holding and question-answering alone. 

We were also notified in January that the tenants of our inherited property plan to leave when the lease ends in April. We've signed the agreement with the property managers to look for new ones, but there will be a substantial fee due when they succeed. And of course any unoccupied time will mean not only a loss of income to cover insurance and taxes, but additional expenses for maintenance and utilities normally covered by tenants. Landscapers don't come cheap, y'all. 

And speaking of cheapness or the lack thereof --
Confession: I took another few thousand dollars from our line of credit, for multiple reasons. We limited holiday costs to nieces/nephews, but they were not insignificant; we needed car repairs/maintenance (engine mount, the seal on something I can't recall); taxes came due for the inherited property; we made our first COBRA payment laughably early due to my anxiety over its arriving late; Spouse and I rang in the new year with a lingering virus that insisted we order in chicken soup and Thai food for almost two weeks (seriously: we struggled to get out of bed and upright for less than six hours every forty-eight); the new year also brought us dental work and brand-new dental/medical deductibles to meet; and, I dunno, budget fatigue, maybe? Karma, bad timing, personal moral failure, whatever, it all added up, and our comfortable margin of savings melted away before my horrified eyes. The LOC was my lifeline. 

It's not that there wasn't money earned/due, but none of it got here in time: between-contract unemployment benefits (I used less than four months) are delayed due to budget cuts; the new contract won't generate a check until the end of this week; Spouse is still waiting on a few thousand dollars in payment for freelance work; even our tenants' January payment, while it finally showed, didn't arrive until the last week of the month. 

Good things happened, too: Spouse has had a few interviews, which went swimmingly (as opposed to drowningly, I suppose?), and has another scheduled for the coming week. I haven't screwed up horribly at my contract yet. Best of all, assuming we can start bringing in waves of cash instead of sending them out, Spouse is entirely on board with devoting 2018 to righting our financial ship. Maximize 401k and HSA payments. Minimize frivolous and lazy expenses. Pay Down The Line Of Credit. My mantra: Focus on them, Nonny. Focus on them.

Au revoir, January. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Gift

Several people I "know" from internet postings have lost loved ones recently. In some cases, the loss was quite sudden and shocking. Each time I read the sad news, I was reminded again of my mother's death, and her careful, caring preparations for it.  She had a binder with all of her paperwork, kept next to her favorite chair. In it was a copy of her will. Copies of her various powers of attorney. Recent copies of household bills, so we'd have account numbers.  And a copy of the paperwork for her pre-paid funeral arrangements.  We were broken and dazed, in no shape to contemplate decision-making or financial constraints. And we didn't have to. Not only was nearly everything pre-paid, but we had the comfort of knowing the arrangements were what she genuinely wanted. It's not a pleasant topic, but since that experience I've shared with everyone of a certain age what a relief it was, in a terrible time, to have all those details already handled, in the way s

Betrayed by Costco

Well, no. I just thought a little drama might keep me awake. I have been disappointed by Costco, however. Last winter we discovered their Kirkland Master Carve Ham . Hooray! Good ham. Good price. Sandwiches for days and days. Hurrah! Then, it disappeared. So after not finding it for a few months, I contacted Costco and discovered it's being discontinued in my region. Why, Costco, why? Good ham is hard to find in this area. It was one of the consolations of the lands of my misspent youth, but they seem unclear on the concept here. Maybe that was the problem: people here didn't realize what they had, couldn't appreciate it, didn't buy it, and now I'm paying the price for their foolishness. Costco didn't betray me: my neighbors did. Those jerks.  So, it's back to expensive import deli ham. No, Boar's Head is not substitute. Am I the only one married to a hardcore pouty foodie?

Biannual Update/Whinge

 I've sorely neglected this blog. 2020 has been a dreadful year for me, for both the pandemic-related reasons and a host of personal ones. I lost friends and family this year, to COVID, cancer, and aneurysm. I was in an accident that caused a "cataclysmic" injury, according to my surgeon, who seems eternally concerned that I'm not taking things seriously enough, and still in physical therapy. I've been sufficiently depressed to be prescribed another anti-depressant. And of course, even if I could work right now, there are no jobs in my field .  Not quite accurate, that. More specifically, there are no jobs in just my field. Employers seem to think their strongest strategy for getting through this downturn is to combine barely-related specialties into a single position: one super-data goddess, please! Yes, you must be expert in servers, database administration, data conversion, data warehousing, and data visualization. Oh, and website design/maintenance, including