Skip to main content

Lamentations. Irritations. Finances. Etc.


So, these are the things that have happened since my last post --
  • Elderly Uncle passed away. For the best really, his pain is no more, I got to say my good-byes, all the comforting cliches; but also, so sad, so much worry for Elderly Aunt, so little clarity about where she's left financially, such a flurry of things that must be attended to at a time when attending to anything feels pointless, endless, and overwhelming: all the negative cliches. Funeral, travel, and lodging costs of $3,160, plus several unpaid days away from work.
  • Poor Caterwaul, the feline malign, was diagnosed with cancer, after a series of examinations, blood tests, biopsies, and long waits in veterinary anterooms. (She is not yet feeling the effects, and we will do our best to keep her comfortable as long as possible, but we do not expect her to recover.) Costs to date of $670.
  • Recommended testing not covered by our insurance policy was, well, recommended. Out of pocket cost = $570.
  • For Brother-in-Law's milestone birthday, Spouse's family decided on a five-day group trip to Disney. Airfare, lodging, restaurants, and park tickets came to $2,195.
  • Emergency septic repair and non-emergency chimney repair at rental house, $550.
  • School taxes for rental house -- $3,050
  • Additional car repairs of $1,015.
If you're playing along at home, your total should now be up to over $10,000. In three months. [Yes, yes, it's been six months. But I wrote all of the above three months ago, and if I stop to update it I won't post it for another three.] And that doesn't include the costs from May to July.

It's not all grim.  Approximately two-thirds of our CC debt is interest-free, so we're paying interest on about $5,800 -- not a beautiful thing, but not an icon of terror, either. (Don't ask about the HELOC.) As of last week, BankAmericard and Citi are paid off, freeing up approximately $700 a month. In February we'll finish off another interest-free offer, putting $475 back into the monthly budget, and another ends in April at $175 -- so in six months we'll have another $1,350 to throw at the debt.

Giant concerns:
1. Taxes taxes taxes oh crikey taxes. No 401K for spouse this year, almost no HSA -- our taxable income is going to be substantially higher than previously, and our additional withholding won't be enough. I'm guesstimating our liability at $6,000 - $10,000. (A moment of silence, please.)
2. Automotive senescence. I want to squeeze another 2-3 years, but Spouse's new job requires much heavier use than previously, and that will impact us.


Here's the breakdown:

CreditorInterest RateOwed
Amazon Store26.49%0.00
JetBlue21.99%0.00
Chase Visa21.49%0.00
Chase Amazon Prime18.99%0.00
Barnes and Noble15.99%0.00
Chase Slate13.74%0.00
Chase Freedom12.74%-1,180.50
CU Signature Visa 210.49%0.00
Bank A Signature Visa10.40%0.00
CU Signature Visa 18.40%-4,008.31
HELOC7.50%-87,919.58
Bank A Balance Transfer0.00%-9,800.98
BankAmericard Platinum0.00%-161.48
BestBuy0.00%-348.20
Citi Diamond Preferred0.00%-0.00
CreditFirst (Firestone)0.00%-1,221.38
Lowe's0.00%-177.48
Total CC Debt-16,898.33
All Debt-104,817.91



Meanwhile, as the stock market begins its inevitable correction  stumbles over the trade war preparatory to impalement on the rake of unsustainable debt  behaves with all the steadiness and wisdom of the people who lead our economy, my retirement savings are worse than flat. So far in 2018, I've contributed over $20,000 to my retirement accounts, and my balance is -- less than it was in January.




Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Uncle and illness of your beloved furball. When it rains it pours. I hope you get to spend more time with her in the coming days and weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Gift

Several people I "know" from internet postings have lost loved ones recently. In some cases, the loss was quite sudden and shocking. Each time I read the sad news, I was reminded again of my mother's death, and her careful, caring preparations for it.  She had a binder with all of her paperwork, kept next to her favorite chair. In it was a copy of her will. Copies of her various powers of attorney. Recent copies of household bills, so we'd have account numbers.  And a copy of the paperwork for her pre-paid funeral arrangements.  We were broken and dazed, in no shape to contemplate decision-making or financial constraints. And we didn't have to. Not only was nearly everything pre-paid, but we had the comfort of knowing the arrangements were what she genuinely wanted. It's not a pleasant topic, but since that experience I've shared with everyone of a certain age what a relief it was, in a terrible time, to have all those details already handled, in the way s

Betrayed by Costco

Well, no. I just thought a little drama might keep me awake. I have been disappointed by Costco, however. Last winter we discovered their Kirkland Master Carve Ham . Hooray! Good ham. Good price. Sandwiches for days and days. Hurrah! Then, it disappeared. So after not finding it for a few months, I contacted Costco and discovered it's being discontinued in my region. Why, Costco, why? Good ham is hard to find in this area. It was one of the consolations of the lands of my misspent youth, but they seem unclear on the concept here. Maybe that was the problem: people here didn't realize what they had, couldn't appreciate it, didn't buy it, and now I'm paying the price for their foolishness. Costco didn't betray me: my neighbors did. Those jerks.  So, it's back to expensive import deli ham. No, Boar's Head is not substitute. Am I the only one married to a hardcore pouty foodie?

Biannual Update/Whinge

 I've sorely neglected this blog. 2020 has been a dreadful year for me, for both the pandemic-related reasons and a host of personal ones. I lost friends and family this year, to COVID, cancer, and aneurysm. I was in an accident that caused a "cataclysmic" injury, according to my surgeon, who seems eternally concerned that I'm not taking things seriously enough, and still in physical therapy. I've been sufficiently depressed to be prescribed another anti-depressant. And of course, even if I could work right now, there are no jobs in my field .  Not quite accurate, that. More specifically, there are no jobs in just my field. Employers seem to think their strongest strategy for getting through this downturn is to combine barely-related specialties into a single position: one super-data goddess, please! Yes, you must be expert in servers, database administration, data conversion, data warehousing, and data visualization. Oh, and website design/maintenance, including