Skip to main content

Blah Blah Yadda Yadda Blah


Random Subset of Reasons Why Job Hunting Is Like Dating, and Therefore A Super Shitty Part of Adulthood
Reason #1: I hate hate hate it. Seriously, why don't I just uncap my marker here and write "JUDGE ME YOU TOTAL STRANGER" across my forehead?

Reason #9: Interview/date clothes. They are a lie, a lie that you wear, and also overpay for, and then worry about snagging/ripping/staining or otherwise knocking them off their pedestal of interview-and-date-worthiness. A pox on them.

Reason #11: Unbearable self-consciousness. As an alpha-introvert, barely bearable self-consciousness is my default state when in a room with any stranger, so why not turn that up to 11?

Reason #12: They will make nice, and chatter about where they like to lunch and the latest project they're working on, and tell you how interesting your story is, and you'll think, hey, maybe this isn't so bad/could actually work. They'll smile and promise to get back to you before next Wednesday. And then they will ghost you, and you will never, ever, ever know why.

Poor Spouse had an interview recently, which went so well that the recruiter and company interview folks finished the interview by saying, Come to lunch with us! Interview + lunch went so well that the recruiter called that evening to say, They're making an offer, as soon as Partner X returns from Exotic Destinationland to discuss it! And then Partner X returned and said, My ole buddy needs a job -- and I'm giving him this one!


Money Money Money Money Money Money Money
(Hearing Gail Vaz-Oxlade's theme in my head) We are not making enough, and we are spending too much. I feel like I just cannot pay attention to the financials. I understand intellectually that, at Spouse's skill/experience level, jobs pay better but are scarcer. But there are days when it's hard for me not to be snappish that we are still relying on one paycheck, which is just not enough. And the anxiety about that, and about rising interest rates and their effect on our debt, and about having effectively missed 6 months of retirement contributions, and about grinding my teeth into nubs by general economic whiplash -- leaving utterly to the side how I feel about the various lurching movements our government is making -- is all a rising shark-in-the-water mutter in my head that's slowly driving me mad, and you know what seems to mute it, temporarily anyway? SPENDING MONEY. Eating out. Buying things that aren't quite unnecessary, but are hardly urgent. Doing the things that are dumb dumb dumb.

In short, WHAT IS YOUR DAMAGE, HUMAN? I need to reset and recommit. Any suggestions, universe?


Blogging Is Hard, Y'all
Seriously. I think I'm averaging one post every three weeks. How can that be? It's almost literally talking about myself, perhaps the most 21st-century, first-world act in existence. It's barely a step up from posting daily selfies and typing Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! as the caption for each. Fourteen-year-olds with full class schedules and nine extracurriculars manage that. Am I the laziest human in the self-described civilized world?


Revelation
If I am not the Emperor of the Run-On Sentence, I'm at least the Grand Vizier. Holy mackerel but I can run the hell on and on and on, even when no one is listening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Gift

Several people I "know" from internet postings have lost loved ones recently. In some cases, the loss was quite sudden and shocking. Each time I read the sad news, I was reminded again of my mother's death, and her careful, caring preparations for it.  She had a binder with all of her paperwork, kept next to her favorite chair. In it was a copy of her will. Copies of her various powers of attorney. Recent copies of household bills, so we'd have account numbers.  And a copy of the paperwork for her pre-paid funeral arrangements.  We were broken and dazed, in no shape to contemplate decision-making or financial constraints. And we didn't have to. Not only was nearly everything pre-paid, but we had the comfort of knowing the arrangements were what she genuinely wanted. It's not a pleasant topic, but since that experience I've shared with everyone of a certain age what a relief it was, in a terrible time, to have all those details already handled, in the way s

Betrayed by Costco

Well, no. I just thought a little drama might keep me awake. I have been disappointed by Costco, however. Last winter we discovered their Kirkland Master Carve Ham . Hooray! Good ham. Good price. Sandwiches for days and days. Hurrah! Then, it disappeared. So after not finding it for a few months, I contacted Costco and discovered it's being discontinued in my region. Why, Costco, why? Good ham is hard to find in this area. It was one of the consolations of the lands of my misspent youth, but they seem unclear on the concept here. Maybe that was the problem: people here didn't realize what they had, couldn't appreciate it, didn't buy it, and now I'm paying the price for their foolishness. Costco didn't betray me: my neighbors did. Those jerks.  So, it's back to expensive import deli ham. No, Boar's Head is not substitute. Am I the only one married to a hardcore pouty foodie?

Biannual Update/Whinge

 I've sorely neglected this blog. 2020 has been a dreadful year for me, for both the pandemic-related reasons and a host of personal ones. I lost friends and family this year, to COVID, cancer, and aneurysm. I was in an accident that caused a "cataclysmic" injury, according to my surgeon, who seems eternally concerned that I'm not taking things seriously enough, and still in physical therapy. I've been sufficiently depressed to be prescribed another anti-depressant. And of course, even if I could work right now, there are no jobs in my field .  Not quite accurate, that. More specifically, there are no jobs in just my field. Employers seem to think their strongest strategy for getting through this downturn is to combine barely-related specialties into a single position: one super-data goddess, please! Yes, you must be expert in servers, database administration, data conversion, data warehousing, and data visualization. Oh, and website design/maintenance, including